Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Best Drunk Food In Athens?

In all honesty, the vast majority of my friends (myself included) have one legitimate goal when we go out to parties or bars on the weekend: sex, or something close to it. That's just the reality of the situation; I'm not saying that this rule applies to everyone, but it applies to most.

Unfortunately, the ultimate "party goal" isn't met as often as we'd like to admit. Failure is much more common than success, so we often settle on a consolation prize: food. While I won't sit here and tell you that I'd rather be cradling a Big Momma's Burrito at 2 in the morning than a beautiful girl, those burritos are pretty damn good, and they are definitely an acceptable way to cap a night of drinking. Eating is one of the most satisfying acts that I can think of, and being drunk elevates food to a level unattainable while sober.

In short, drunk food is the best. And, Athens being what it is, there's never a shortage of options. As I previously alluded to, I love Big Mamma's. I'm clearly not alone, as the fist-clinchingly long lines can attest to. I've waited in lines to satisfy a late night burrito craving that an ordinary man would wince at, and it's almost always worth it. The blend of warm rice with chicken and bacon is mouthwatering... and that sauce. Damn. They have some good sauce there.

Big Momma's gets my vote for best late-night food stop in Athens, but there are definitely others that deserve attention. Good Fella's Pizza is pretty great; it's affordable, and the service is generally awesome. Pita Pit is okay; it gets points for being healthy, I guess... it never leaves me truly satisfied with my choice, though. It just isn't that filling. Or tasty. And it's too expensive. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.

I should also say something about the food carts, and I haven't even brought up the goodness that is D.P. Dough. I think I'll save that for another blog, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment