Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 10: But Is It A Sandwich?

I make a lot of interesting sandwiches at my apartment. And by interesting, I mean "really, really good." It's a bit of a stretch to call making a sandwich cooking, but the amount of time and dedication that I put forth in making my sandwiches definitely has me feeling like a sandwich expert.

That being said... I'm not really sure how I would actually define what a sandwich truly is. First and foremost, a sandwich has to be designed to be eaten by hand. Some sandwiches - like the ones seen on Man V. Food - simply have to be eaten with a knife and a fork. But since I am rarely going to put myself in such a ridiculous situation, in my opinion, sandwiched have to be eaten by hand. Secondly, there has to be bread. And besides that, I'm not really sure; I've never been analytical about sandwiches before, so this should be interesting.

Hot Dogs: I want to say that hot dogs are sandwiches, because they pass both of my criteria, but something is holding me back. Hot dogs truly have their own unique identity - they have a lot going for them, and there is enough variety in how they are prepared that they exist in their own unique bubble. Not a sandwich.

Hamburgers: Eh, I guess you can say that hamburgers are sandwiches in an extremely traditional sense. They really are sandwiches in an extremely traditional sense: buns, token lettuce and tomatoes to present the idea of eating healthily, meat. If anything on this list is a sandwich, its the hamburger. I kind of want one from McDonald's right now.

Quesadilla: No way in hell are quesadillas going to pass as sandwiches. The cheese factor just totally makes them exist in their own stratosphere; a very delicious stratosphere to be sure, but they just aren't sandwiches. Sure, you can eat them with your hands. Sure, they have bread. But I'd liken them more to giant stuffed tortilla chips, because they are generally consumed by getting dipped in various salsas. Not a sandwich.

Crepes: Nope. While I love crepes, especially stuffed crepes, I'm kind of baffled that we are even discussing their validity on this list. They clearly are more of a pastry than anything else; to be fair, I've never had a crepe stuffed with anything other than foods that compliment its sweetness, and I know that they can be served in a more sandwich-y fashion. For me, though, crepes will always be more of a dessert than a breakfast, and more of a breakfast than a sandwich. Sorry.

Piroshki: What? I've never even heard the term piroshki before. Based on the picture, it looks like a meat-filled pastry, kind of like a classier version of a hot pocket. Regardless, I don't want to call this a sandwich; it looks like something that you would toss in a microwave. Not saying I wouldn't eat it, but I defintiley wouldn't refer to that as a sandwich.

SO, in review, I'd consider the hamburger to be a sandwich, while every other option on the list is something completely different. I guess I'm kind of a stiffler about my sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment